This is what you can expect if you hire me to prepare you income tax returns.
1. Up front, we can do all of this virtually over the internet. I use a tax prep software that allows for secure document transfer between you and me.
2. We first define the relationship by using an engagement letter. This is simply an agreement that spells out clearly what I'll do for you and what you need to provide to me so I can get your income tax returns prepared and filed.
3. I'll send to you an organizer. This is a document that can guide you as you gather your tax documents.
4. You send to me all of your tax reporting documents you've received. These could be W2s, a bunch of different types of 1099s, K1s from partnerships or other pass-through entities, letters from charities you've given to, etc. This is done via SecureFilePro which is just what the name implies, a secure way to pass documents to each other. You can even take a picture of them with your phone and upload them.
5. I will prepare your return in draft and explain it to you. We can go as in depth as you'd like.
6. I'll send you the forms you must sign that give me your approval to electronically file your returns.
7. When your returns are accepted by the IRS and/or your state(s), I will provide you with a pdf copy of your returns. Again, this will be done via SecureFilePro.